Friday, October 16, 2009

All In The Timing


I must say, I am a person who normally avoids attending a show on opening night. As a fellow Thespian, I understand that the first night with an audience can be trying, as nerves are at their peak, and for some, this can present multiple challenges. However, with the Daytona State College's production of All In The Timing , I found my self suprised at how professional and smooth the show ran.


When I first entered the News Journal Center, I was hoping for more of an outside entertainment, be it pictures of scenes, a little mood music in the lobby, or something that made me feel like I was about to witness live theatre. It wasn't until I walked into the smaller black box style theatre that I actually felt like I had been welcomed into a new world of pretend portrayal. With clocks lining the walls around us, loud tickings and an occasional coo coo bird chime, it was impossible for myself and the rest of the audience to ignore the theme of the nights performance. At one point, I actually felt irritated that all the noise was taking place and could not wait for the scenes to begin. I have to laugh now thinking of the irony in that situation, and I must say, I almost wish I would have SEEN more clocks just to make the point louder!


As the "curtain" opened, and the play started with Sure Thing I realized how intimate the setting was. I feel now that a small performing area such as the setting of this production really allowed a closer connection to the characters and the environment they were in. It felt like we were sitting in the same cafe'/restaraunt. When the characters began interacting with one another, it wasnt long until we could all feel the tension that existed between the two people meeting each other for the first time and trying to decide wether or not it was a good thing. The comedy in watching them start over every time they ran into a dead end of conversation, or wound up with their feet in their mouths was hilarious and helped the audience understand the meaning of a second chance. The only time I have to say I felt like this broke for me was when the moments behined a quick ding and recovery were lost. I almost felt like a few funny lines were missed because the characters stopped worrying about the importance of recovery in conversation, but about a quick second chance that they had to deliver right away. The dings and jokes started to run over each other. When I didn't hear the audience laughing at some really funny lines, I noticed how very important the delivery was. However, on the flip side of that, the funniest lines of all were delivered just fine and both characters didnt have to work very hard at getting a few rather loud chuckles from everyone.



The scene change between the first show and Words Words Words was quick and pretty impressive. It wasn't clear that all of the actors were the run crew for this until the very end when the three monkeys were left on stage in the same characters they portrayed during set change. I think seeing all three of them perched on their hind quarters was hysterical to everyone. The stage then became a cage to the onlookers, and we the audience became the spectators at the zoo... or in this case, the lab. The moment I really enjoyed was watching the female monkey putting the banana in the typewriter. She really made me believe that that was what she was... a silly monkey. Then of course I think this made everyone, not just me, think... "Why do they have typewriters?" Then the lines began and Vuola! Monkeys writing hamlet. Hysterical! The delivery and performance of each comedic moment was right on key and the entire audience ate it up. I never saw the monkeys evolve into humans, and they kept my attention the entire time.

I feel like the moment that the scene changes were recognized as a moment where all the characters were on stage together began here. Watching the monkeys interact with the oncomers for Universal Language made a few audience members say "Oh" or make other noises that showed appreciation for the interactions. The tranformation of the set here was also something that was pretty neat. When the lights came up, I honestly saw a major transformation and felt the audience react to a new environment. When the young lady entered the setting looking uneasy and confused, her personality matched half of the audience. The language written on the black board and the numbers above it weren't familiar class room displays. Something here must be different. This of course, aside from the young lady's ability to perfectly display being timid and unsure of herself, won the audience over to her side. People sat straight up and wondered, "What is it that she is up against?" Then of course, when the instructor, Don Finninninigen, walks into the room and begins to speak, the laughter just errupted. Contagious laughter at that, which just grew and gew throughout the entire production.

Of course, by this point, the set change was even more entertaining than before as the audience was more expecting and got to enjoy watching the smooth interactions and transitions. When the stage was set for Philadelphia, it felt like we were all transferred back to reality in a more familiar enviornment. When we first saw the interaction between the waitress and Al, it became clear that we weren't set in the slower paced south and we were in a much busier city where things were a bit more fast paced and rushed. Then when we saw Mark come in, it became confusing as to what exactly was happening to him. I personally could not understand what it was he threw his shoe at, and why his shirt was torn. I started thinking "Godzilla maybe?" Perhaps these few things were a bit over the top. It was very clear that he was in distress through his physical and vocal acting abilities, and I felt like that would have been enough. When watching the two characters interact, I really enjoyed the play on words and the associations with the different cities and their stereotypes. I believe everyone in the audience could appreciate this too. It gave a sense of "Yep, Ive been there!" In the end, the laughter was calm and full of relation. Though I couldnt help wondering what was going to happen with Godzilla... or whatever it was that was outside with Mark's shoe.

Variations on the Death of Trotsky made the entire production come to a full circle for me. I think the sound of the bell being in the opening show and then ending in the end was significant to a common closing thought. It really held the audiences attention and made them interested in how the scenario changes and fixes would happen. This ending was perfect as the actors gave us all something to think about from history, a story that many might have been familiar with. It is clear that the layout of these productions combined with set changes, line deliveries and settings really does define the overall theme. Like any great production, the secret is always all in the timing.

1 comment: